Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home
Now that is a smile I would pay for!

Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday, September 11


Gotta make a change
For once in my life
It's gonna feel real good
Gonna make a difference
Gonna make it right
Who am I to be blind
Pretending not to see their needs
A summer's disregard
A broken bottle top
And a one man's soul
They follow each other
On the wind ya' know'
Cause they got nowhere to go

At times as I type I can hear the sound over reading as I type so today I am feeling kind of like Carrie Bradshaw of "Sex and the City" or maybe even Julie of "Julie & Julia".

So I ask the question which comes first the chicken or the egg:

One of our field trips was to the grocery market and Pam (occupational therapy) had Dean pushing the grocery cart up and down isles to locate items on our grocery list. It took approximately 1-1/2 hours to obtain maybe 12 items so I wonder was this a wake up call to slow down or are we slowing down only long enough to let this pass????????

As we cruised down the baby isle of the grocery market and I had time to notice various items down that isle I was drawn to the baby food and wondered "does a baby need baby food to strengthen their swallow muscles as does some brain injury patients or is it as simple as their teeth have not yet developed. The other thought that occurred to me is all the learned behavior that happens from birth on and all the things that are just taken for granted. Who knew, after all, that swallowing required muscle tone. Certainly not I. (me sounds much better and as I processed this I believe "I" is correct).

Since we last met we have taken quite a few field trips one of which was to "Chuck E Cheese". Did I always worry whether or not someone would be bothered that it took us to long to cross a parking lot or did we just rush across so we would not have to worry about someone else's feelings. On that particular day we found that everyone in the parking lot that day was quite generous. So was there generosity because it happened to be the Friday before a holiday or are people more generous than I ever gave them credit for???(oops another preposition at the end of a sentence - to bad; to sad or if you prefer tough toodles with noodles. Either one works for me).

This morning we went to the beach with Kwan the occupational therapist. Dean walked with his walker (no chair) and jumped some hurdles. Not really hurdles although for him it probably seemed like the curbs were some pretty intense hurdles. Deano even got to put his feet in the sand. I have to say again how amazed I am that stroke is so common. Every time I talk to someone they have been touched personally or they have stories of someone who has suffered a stroke. Today at the beach while Kwan was assisting Deano, a man walking a dog approached us to let us know that the sand was great therapy for stroke patients. His 60 year old father had had a stroke and the man took his father to the beach to have him walk in the soft and hard sand to help him regain the ability to walk and he said his father is back to prestroke walking. Back to the Chuck E Cheese outing, as Deano was crossing the parking lot and cars were waiting for him to cross a woman told me I should rub his feet and explaining certain pressure points. Just amazing.

So again I ask were we just not paying attention???

As I have shared probably to many times we are the very proud parents of a 4th grader. And what that means is all the activity that goes along with back to school, ie, fund raisers, festivals, volunteer work and all that fabulous stuff that one hopes will give a child a good foundation. Anyway September 2 was registration and September 10 was "Back to School" night. I left it up to Dean as to whether or not he wanted to participate and of course he wouldn't miss it. I was thinking maybe he might not be ready to be around so many people or that it may be way to exhausting for him and maybe a little uncomfortable. What I found as we approached the school on registration day that I had a whole bunch of trepidation. The cause of my anxiety was rampant and ranging from jealousy, maybe a little anger and so many other things. I found that maybe we don't have what other families have in the way or normalcy, and then again what really is normal. I definitely had a strong sense of vulnerability because Deano appears so vulnerable. I guess suffice to say just a whole lot of emotion in those moments as we presented ourselves to the world.

So have these feelings always been there or are they new???

Deano has been in therapy with "Rehab Without Walls" for 3 weeks now and the therapist has all commented on Dean's perseverance and determination and that in just 3 weeks he has made a lot of progress. The speech therapist seems to think Dean is ready for another swallow test and that she is confident it may go well for him this time around and she is consistently working on getting sound out of Dean.

The Dnyno Vox was approved by insurance and delivered today. For those of you who don't remember it is a computer that can act as Dean's voice as he works to find his voice. Any computer techs out there because I know how to take it out of the box and that is about it.

So we are continuing on this journey and we have all shared some really special moments along the way. It makes my heart smile when I hear Dean and Riley laughing together and that seems to be happening more and more.

I don't think I am done writing yet and I wont leave without saying goodbye.

So until next time.

That's why I want you to know
I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make a change,

I've been a victim of A selfish kinda love
It's time that I realize
There are some with no home

P.S. Tim guess who I am going to be seeing tonight at a meeting for our Fall Festival. Heicke Macklin, Manford's sister. Such a small world or as she said just six degrees.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Teri!
Hey Teri,
Really good to hear from you. You sound so good! It really is good to hear the smile in your voice(printed word)! ha ha. Anyway, Dean and Riley laughing! Sounds great! It crackes me up to read your words" getting sound out of Dean" lol! That must be wierd not to hear him talk all the time. He sure looks good in the photo's. You all look good in the pics.

Sand is great to walk in, even when not doing therapy. It gives everywhere. That makes everything work from the foot to the hip and then some. Also the giveing of the sand takes the hit off your knees, ankles and hips. Sand is really good to walk in.

Kwan and Pam? how many folk do you have coming around for pt, ot and st?

going to another movie? another chick-flick? nothing with shoot'm up bang bang in it? lol!

Anyway thanks ever so much for remembering us out here in DeanNambablogland. It sure is good to hear your voice again.

You know these people have always been out there. They just shine alittle brighter when the world seems a little darker. You porbably haven't been able to see them because of how bright the light of you and Dean have been. Remember them and help the next one you see that needs help. the world gets brighter everyday. :)


Keep write'n and we'll keep read'n


Ricky " I've seen Dark, I recommend Light" Elliott

Unknown said...

Hi Teri. Selfishly, I never considered that you wouldn't continue writing your blog. That will be a sad day. Necessary, but sad. Thanks for keeping us all "in the loop". I have been following you through your writings. I found this one especially thoughtful as well as uplifting. To quote Forest Gump "questions happen". Nothing wrong with that. You also sound calmer and more "together". Perhaps you are slowing down and seeing life. Dean looks terrific as does Riley. I read a book a while a go, The Family Blessing", and there is one particular passage that has stuck with me: a man left his church (without seeking his pastor's blessing} and went to another church. The man asked an "old timer" there what the church was like. The old timer responded "well it depends. Tell me, what was it like at the church where you came from". the man replied "terrible, lot's of back stabbing, gossip, mean, etc.". The old timer said "you'll find the people here are the same". End of story. Another man leaves his church but receives his pastor's blessings to go. He goes to the same church and asks the old timer the same question: "tell me, what are the people like here?" The old timer responded "tell me, what were the people like at the church you came from?" The man said "they were the kindest, most loving, careing, etc." The old timer said "you will find the people here are the same" When you ask the questions about crossing the parking lot, or about the people who have come up to you with "their stories" think about what the common thread has been. Same with the "parable" I shared about the two men, what's the common thread? Anyway, lot's of positives and GREAT things going on. As my dad told me so many years ago "keep your head up". Teri - you're doing great. Keep your up. Someone once told me, whenever you find yourself a little down, burdened, look up. A smile will always come to your face. For me, it always works. I hope it works for you too.
God's continued blessings on you, Dean and Riley.

Uncle Jimmy (Colorado)

dammit janet! said...

Hey there Maria (some day you must tell me why we were not introduced to you as Teri ;-)

I have been following along all summer long, sending love and warm healing wishes to all three of you. I had hoped that I'd be coming up to Malibu today, with grander hopes of visiting you tomorrow (Sunday).

But, I'm unable to make the journey today, and Fred is going up without me. He'll be leaving early in the morning to head up to Oakland for another commitment, so we had some logistics to sort out, which finally were resolved best with me sitting this one out tonight.

I'm sad that this is a missed opportunity to see you, Dean and Riley, but it has reminded me that I should just set a date for visiting you three, without piggy-backing it onto another LA area trip. That's now my intention.

I love your writing, and I can hear your sweet voice as I read your words. And, now I can hear Dean and Riley laughing together! What beautiful music! I do look forward to seeing you again soon.

Much Love,
janet (and Fred, too!)

Frankie said...

I think Dean will be singing in the shower before long! My husband and I have looked back at the 1st pictures you sent out after the stroke and the pictures at the beach and Chucky cheese and what a remarkable recovery so far. He's getting there. Prayers are still going up from Alabama. thanks for the updates.

Unknown said...

Wow Maria, I can picture you as Terri Bradshaw right now. If you ever need to change careers you would make a great writer and I mean that sincerely. It is great to hear that Deano is continuing to progress. I hope the swallow test goes well. I do know a thing or two about computers so if you don't hve the DynoVox going before I get there, I will be glad to give it a go. I still hope to get down there towards the end of the month. I am waiting for my company to confirm a meeting in Temecula. As soon as that happens I will let you know when to expect me. Until then, all the best. Oh yeah and say hi to Hieke! Tell her I see her nephews more then Manfred & Maureen. They visit us in Seattle all the time.
Cheers,
Tim