Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home
Now that is a smile I would pay for!

Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday, August 28


To Everything, Turn, Turn, Turn
There is a season (and what a season it has been)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven;

A time to be born, a time to die;
A time to plant, a time to reap;
A time to kill, a time to heal (killing happens in a lot of different ways)
A time to laugh, a time to weep

Honey, I'm home

My goodness it seems a lifetime has passed and the truth is maybe it has or is in the process of doing so and what if that is exactly what needed to happen. "What if"?

I have wanted to come to this place and share with you all the progress Dean has been making. It seems as though my feet hit the floor running in the am and before I know it I am closing everything down for bed time.

This was definitely a much greater task than I imagined.

Funny, I bought a no brainer fun book to read, the title of which for some reason I cannot even remember right now to escape for short periods of time during the day. The funny thing was the main character, Addie Downs, has weight issues and her brother when he was in high school was in a car accident and suffered brain damage and Addie assumed the responsibility of caring for her brother after both the parents passed. Coincidence or happenstance, (things that make you go hmmmm).

This pass week has been quite the challenge (yes, more so than past ones). Riley's 40gallon fish tank leaked and it took me 3 hours to get that all cleaned up. I had to call a plumber and they hydro something'd the pipes and there was water coming from everywhere in the bathroom during the process. Can you believe I had to throw away my hair dryer, curling iron and flat iron. Now, like it or not hair is wash and wear and yes that was the worst part of it all (well not really and it sounded good, don't you think).

Rehab without Walls has put together a really fabulous team for Deano, consisting of Louise for Speech, Kwan for Physical, Pam for Occupational and Ibis the Social Worker. Verdict is still out on the social worker. I guess at this point I just don't get it. Today I asked Deano if he liked the Speech Therapist and he said no. She is definetly the least patient with him and difficult to see progress. Next week we will go on a field trip with Pam to the grocery market so Dean can pick-up some things so he and Riley can make Milk Shakes together. We will try and take some field trips with Ry to the park or something to play catch or basket ball before back to school gets here. Which, by the way is September 9. My little superstar will be in the 4th grade.

Oh, did you notice our computer is working. Strange thing when the fish tank leaked I tore Riley's room apart and used the opportunity to rearrange and that includes the computer. I put it all back together and the mouse is working and the fax machine is also working. Amazing what we are capable of.

I now have 6 weeks and 2 days before returning to work. I am really needing some more miracles to happen for us in Dean's recovery so we can get a more clear picture of what long term care will look like for Deano.

I tell you there are days when I just know that he will recover and even if not 100% close to it and then I watch him struggle through things we (collective we) take for granted. The thought that goes into taking the next step, into brushing his teeth, into pointing to a hammer. Then I wonder what is in store for us all (meaning the California Namba's). Maybe not time for me to know.

The other observation I made not long ago, no matter how far or fast you run, aspects of yourself will still be there. I see that in Dean and how sometimes he will do without first listening for instruction and I think I remember that and he is not the only one. I see that when I want to tell him "Dean you aren't trying hard enough" (Hard enough for who?). And then I see when he goes down for a nap or for the evening and the efforts of the day are visible. Anyway, just observation.

Dean was weighed today and he is holding steady at 151.8. I would like to see him gain 15 lbs and a little challenging right now because the swallowing is still an issue. I can only get so much osmolite into his body a day. Kinda of a catch 22, the more he swallows the stronger the muscles will get for swallowing and his swallow isn't strong enough to stop the feeding tube. Today, he had scrambled eggs and toast with oj (and thick-it) for breakfast, 3 cans of osmolite for lunch and for dinner some pasta with chicken, and asparagus and for the most important meal, dessert, chocolate pudding. Now I will wait a couple of days before giving him so many meals to make sure there were no problems.

I am now taking Deano for acupuncture treatments every Saturday. Ideal would be twice a week but they want him to have a day off so right now just on Saturdays.

Is anyone still out there.

A time to build, a time to break down (and according to Mama Namba, not my time for the latter - she says she will let me no when the time comes and I am waiting);
A time to dance, a time to mourn;
A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to time for love, a time for hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late (And that my friends is the truth I pray for)


P.S. Thank you to Mike Sweeney for taking Dean to the pier and spending time with him. When he got home I could tell he really enjoyed being out
with you

P.S.S. Thank you to Adam and Kathleen Chammorro for taking Riley into your home as we were adjusting to Deano at home with us and for taking down the screen door. Much easier for us to get in and out.

P.S.S.S Thank you to Scott for including Riley on your outings this past week. He really needed time outside of the house and he truly enjoyed himself

And continued thanks to Grandma Jo who comes several times during the week so I can take a break and to my Mom for coming during the week to check-up on us and to my sisters for being sisters. And to my brother for all the hard work in taking out the bamboo. So many have commented on its absence.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Teri,
Hey Teri, It's good to see you on again. Again, I can only guess how busy you are. I can also only guess as to how stressed you are. It's a wierd kind of a thing stress. One stress when he's in the hosptial and another when he's home and you are it.....
You've proven to us if not yourself what you're capable of. Each day WILL get easier but it's always baby steps. Don't get bent about the little things they'll take care of themselves. (or with help from others)
Dean looks healthier in the latest pictures. You sound more like yourself in this last blog update to. I can remember when we were worried if Dean was going to live and now a fish tank makes the news. lol. That's got to feel good in a strange Ricky sort of way.
Interesting choice for mind candy. Maybe "War & Peace" would be some light reading. I see Dean reading the paper. Is he reading? look'n at pictures? I wish i knew before this last weekend. I just got rid of a gazillion books. All shapes and sizes.
Is Deano doing his Rocky therapy? I haven't heard from Rocky this last week so i don't know for sure. Coffee is happy Deano's back.
Just a quick one for me this time before i put my head down.

All the light I can spare I send to you and Dean. Please tell Dean henry hullo from me and let him know that a day doesn't go by with out me thinking of him and you.


With the blessing of the elves, men and of all free folk or hope to you( just saw LOrd of the rings)...

Ricky" Post script"Elliott

p.s. hahahhahaha

Frankie said...

So good to hear from you and your adventures. Sounds like life back to as much normalcy as it gets for now. But things will get better each day. Keep up the good work and the information.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri: I worked with Dean at Matrix in Bellingham. thanks for all the hard work you have done with the e-mails. I check every day to see how Dean is doing. Please give him my love (Marva Aase)I do not know you but am very proud of you for all the hard work with getting Dean this far. Keep up the good work all of you. Marva Aase