Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home
Now that is a smile I would pay for!

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Cognitively Speaking

Have you been wondering about Dean's mental facilities?

I know I was.

To tell you the truth, when I first arrived here in sunny Venice, I was a little ... how to put it... unnerved, I guess. Dean can't speak easily. And the way his attempts at words come out as sounds and grunts, it sounds a little like he's mentally challenged. You'll be happy to know, that this is not the case in any way, shape, or form. Indeed, all is well with the mind of Dean Henry.

I have proof:

Last night while cooking dinner, I needed a lid and couldn't find one. Teri was out running an errand, so I asked Dean if he remembered where the lids were.
He pointed (and grunted) to the lower cupboard to the right of the stove.
I had already looked in that cupboard and didn't see any such lids in there.
In an act of faith (and a lot of hope), I decided to look again.
This time I got down on my hands and knees, moved things around, and sure enough in the back of the cupboard I was delighted to find a pile of lids.

I know it's not rocket science, but still.
He demonstrated recognition and memory.

Later, while watching a sitcom on TV, he laughed in all the appropriate places and even caught the more subtle humorous turns of the plot.

He impressed me again this evening. I asked him if he wanted to help me cook dinner; I was making a gourmet delight - baked beans and hot dogs- and figured he could at least help me stir. At first he declined and was content to watch the news. But after a bit, he changed his mind and made his way into the kitchen. Maybe the smell of the bacon cooking lured him; that was my plan anyhow.

First, he stirred the sauteing onions and bacon. Then when it was time to open the cans, he took over. This morning his OT taught him to open a can of tuna and he knew just what to do.
I held the opener on the can and he turned the crank until he determined the device had made the full circumference and that the lid was off. Of course he got it precisely right. After he opened the beans and put them in the pan, it was time to add the flavorings.

I told him what ingredients we needed - ketchup, mustard and brown sugar. Though it took great physical effort, he went to the appropriate location and found each item. He seemed to have a little trouble recognizing the ketchup, but when I asked him to look for something red, he went right to it.

As he added each ingredient to the pot, Dean easily figured out how to open the containers. Then he assessed and reassessed (remember he's a righty using his left hand now), how to pour it in, and make adjustments to his technique so he could add just the right amount. After the beans simmered for a bit, I had him taste for flavor. He deemed they were a bit bland and asked (read: pointed) for more chili powder. His assessment was correct and the beans were delicious after we added the extra spice.

Dean decided Riley should cook the hot dogs. While the boy did that masterfully, Dean took on the task of emptying the clean silverware basket from the dishwasher. He picked up each piece of flatware, studied it and placed it in the proper slot. Every once in awhile, he'd start to put a teaspoon with the soup spoons. But as soon as he the got teaspoon close to the larger soup spoons, he caught his error and made the adjustment.

After that job was done, he maneuvered his wheelchair out to the living room to rest for awhile.
When I asked him if he wanted to eat his beans with a fork or spoon, he shrugged his shoulders to say he didn't know. I replied, "Okay, guess we'll have to have both on the table then."
Guess who wheeled his way into the kitchen and put both forks and spoons next to the plates?
Yep, Dean Henry.

Keep in mind, all this was after both an OT and a PT session today. Each of which lasted for two hours and was jam packed with the work of re-learning all the simple tasks you and I take for granted. Not only is Dean firing on all chargers, he's determined.

I feel privileged, not to mention humbled, to be able to witness his impressive progress.

Next time I log in, I'll tell you about the rampant laughter and humor in this household. I only hope on can convey half of Dean's good cheer!

Until then,
~Bon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bon- So glad for the update! I check the blog each night before going to bed. Please let them know that lots of prayers and love are coming from Michael and I. His road to recovery is amazing! I know from my experience how lucky he is to have a partner like Teri! And please tell Teri she is a wonderful writer. She should compile her entries and publish a book. I promise you, their story will give hope to others.
Love,
Robin and Michael

spaceneedl said...

what a great account of this excellent news. i'm happy for all of you. keep up the good work.

-m

Alta said...

Hi ,
It is so great to get these up dates. My how Dean is improving each time you write. Robin has an excellent idea about compiling the entries. When my dad had his stroke my mother kept a diary each day to see the improvements that were made and also the times that there might be a step backwards. She was so glad she did that as she would forget how hard he had worked during his improvement. She said it was hard for her as she would be so tired after helping him out, but it was an important thing to do. Bless you all. Love and prayers sent your way.
Alta